Guardians love to feed their paw-bearing wards from their table. But unknowingly sometimes they lead them in big trouble, by feeding them something their body does not like that much. So, for taking care of those furry & loyal creatures, here are some food items that you should avoid giving them:
1. Apple seeds
Apple is good for dogs but make sure that you remove the seeds before feeding them to the dogs. Apple seeds contain a chemical known as Amygdalin that releases cyanide and which finally reaches to the bloodstream and causes cyanide poisoning which can be fatal within 20-30 minutes from its onset.
Few numbers of seeds do not cause this much problem but when small puppies consume enough seeds, they face more serious problems than adult dogs. So its better to separate seeds before giving apples.
2.Artificial sweetener or Xylitol
- 0.1gm of xylitol per kg of body weight causes hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
- vomit & lethargy
Even a very small amount of Xylitol present in candies, human toothpaste & sweets, etc can be life-threatening because dogs are highly sensitive to this chemical.
3.Grapes & Resins
Even a small amount can cause a very serious problem and sometimes even death. Even 7-8 grapes can cause the death of a dog with having a body weight of 8-9 Kgs. The toxic effect is seen in 72 hours.
The actual reason for toxicity is still unknown.
- dog tries to do vomit
- diarrhea, stomach pain
- stops eating but start drinking a lot of water
If you feed Macadamia nuts to your dog then you are going to be in serious trouble.
- It leads to Tremors, Vomiting, Depression, weakness & fever.
- Popping out after 12 hours of consumption is normally seen
Macadamia nuts along with chocolate are lethal to dogs.
This is the most common toxicity that occurs in dogs. This is one of the dearest food items for humans but it is lethal for a dog.
- Chocolate contains theobromine & Caffeine.
- These stimulant cause their negative effect on the heart, kidney & brain.
- Bakery chocolates are even more harmful
Accidental or Regular feeding causes symptoms like:
- Excessive drooling of saliva.
- seizure and convulsions.
- Diarrhea, increase heart rate & hyperactivities.
It contains Persin, an oil-soluble fungicidal toxin that is very toxic.
Pit of avocado contains the persin in very high amount, so most toxic part for dogs. This toxin has the ability to cause mastitis (inflammation of the udder & teats). As it is fat-enriched fruit, regular consumption causes effects like Pancreatitis.
While dogs are more resistant to persin than other animals but this does not mean in any way that avocados are safe for dogs. Symptoms include:-
- Vomiting, Diarrhea
- abdominal pain, difficulty in passing stool
- In severe cases – heart congestion
So how many avocados you can give to your dog?
This surely varies from breed to breed, but you should not give more than one. It’s better to not check the limit of your dog, as this can be fatal for him.
7.Alcohol & Beverages
Alcohol causes intoxication in dogs. 5-8gm per kg body weight of absolute ethanol is a lethal dose for the dog.
- Effects are Poor coordination, difficulty in breathing, Acidity, Vomiting which may lead to coma & death.
Feeding cat food to the dogs on regular basis generally leads to
- Obesity, stomach problems & Pancreatitis
- sensitive dogs may get diarrhea.
if you are wondering why this is happening to a dog, the real answer is variation in nutrient requirements. cats require high protein and fat, that’s why cat food is rich in fats and proteins. This causes toxicity to the dogs, as it is not balanced.
Make sure your dog should not eat uncooked fish. Because raw fish have toxic bacteria (that produces various toxins) which is not good for your dog at all.
- Raw also has Fish parasites which cause Fish disease or Salmon poisoning in dogs.
- Symptoms are Fever & enlarged lymph nodes
Dogs do not have lactose enzyme in their body, so they are unable to digest the milk sugar lactose.
- Keeping dog on milk diet regularly can lead to digestive failure. However small consumption is not problematic.
If you find out the symptoms like breathing discomfort, vomiting with(severe) or without blood, diarrhea, seizures, excessive salivation, nausea, dry heaving & fever in your dog after eating any above-mentioned food item then contact your nearby veterinarian as soon as possible.
The above symptoms are also associated with malicious/intentional poisoning.
What to do if your dog eats one of the toxic things (First Aid)?
If you find that your dog has consumed any of the above-mentioned food items. Then within 1-2 hours of consumption try to make your dog vomit, before the toxin can show its effect and damage the major body organs like heart, liver, lungs, kidney & brain. To attain this:
- Use salt water ( table salt+ water ) or Brine which induces vomition and reduces stomach toxin content.
- 3% hydrogen peroxide is very helpful. which is given at the rate of 2 ml/kg body weight and should not be given more than 45ml (it will cause toxicity) per orally.
- If your dog shows signs like seizures and convulsions, then Wrap the body of the dog with a towel wetted with cold water and take it to the vet clinic
“note that in both cases contact a nearby vet doctor because fluid therapy & life-saving drugs administration is required in most of the cases.“
IF YOU HAVE ANY doubt/question regarding your pet. Then leave your query in the comment box, we will sort out the things for you.
Explore the recent blog: Top 10 Deadly-Disease of dogs
Know about: Rabies In Dogs- Treatment, and Prevention
Visit Homepage: click here
To join us on Instagram: click here
join us/contact us
15 thoughts on “10 Food items that your Dog Should Never Eat”
Informative and engaging blog . keep it up !
Thankyou for your support.
Very informative and useful blog. Great work.
Thankyou. Keep supporting 😊
This was worth reading…I must say…very informative
Thankyou. Keep supporting 😊
This was worth reading…I must say…
I WAS TENSED WITH THE NATURE OF MY DOG BECAUSE HE BIT MY GFS BROTHER THREE TIMES , SO AFTER READING YOUR ARTICLE I GAVE HIM TWO OR THREE CHOCOLATES BUT HE IS STILL DOING FINE 🙅🙅.
I am really happy to say it’s an interesting blog to read . I learn new information from your blog.you are doing a great job . Keep it up☺
So informative… I was not aware of most of the things… thanks to ur vlog 😊
Keep on posting such posts..all the very best 😜
Thankyou & Keep supporting 😊
Pingback: HOW TO KNOW YOUR DOG’S AGE? (scientific method) - Vetnest
Pingback: Everything You Need To Keep Your Cat Ticks Free - Vetnest
Pingback: WHAT IS THE BEST FOOD TO FEED YOUR DOG? - Vetnest